Monday, November 3, 2008

Lesson Learned



I wanted to share with you all the latest trend -- yes, that is carrying your house key with you at ALL times. The short story goes like this... I went out one afternoon quickly to run a couple errands and didn't bring "the works" diaper bag. I only had bare essentials, and really not even that. I had even done the once monthly entire diaper bag clean out earlier that day because my diaper bag had accumulated so much stuff I could hardly manage it anymore. Anyway, I came home to find that the power was out which then meant my garage door opener wasn't going to work. The first problem was that I didn't have my house key with me! The second, and most important, problem was that Jeremy was out of town for the next couple of days! Aghhh! I decided to go to a friend's house (with power) to hang for a while in the hopes that the power would be restored soon. At 9:30pm the power was still not on and my kids were crazy tired so we decided to hunker down for the night. The only other problem was that I didn't have enough diapers, wipes, clothes, or even a bottle with me. I ran to another friend's house to get these supplies and came back to settle in for some good old 'Pride and Prejudice'. That movie can really turn a day around, can't it?! The power was restored sometime in the middle of the night and all was well in the end, but I have learned a very important lesson -- always carry your house key with you!!!



(Thanks to Christie for all that you did and for letting us crash your birthday party and thanks to April for all your essential supplies! You guys are awesome!)

6 comments:

Kristyn Anderson said...

Hey Heather!
Sounds like a crazy day! Thanks for the lesson...I will now carry my house key with me at all times. I am sorry I have not been better about keeping in touch. I think of you and your family all of the time. I will try and call or email you soon so we can catch up.
Hope all is well and we'll talk soon.
Kristyn

Frederick Family BlogSpot said...

Wow! What a day. I also now try to always have a key, even when I go outside to the garbage can (all 5 steps away from the door) because occasionally Miranda or Samuel will close the door behind me. Despite my best efforts to both unlock the door and take a key, I have still been locked out several times. Once, just last week. Hopefully, Jeremy's either home or on his way and is ready to walk in the door and be totally helpful.

Stephens said...

Okay- that used to happen to me all of the time when I was a kid cause my parents just used the garage code instead of giving the kids all keys that we would probably forget or lose! I have been out of town for the past week and a half and totally forgot my knitting. So, I haven't done anything for Tommy's stocking since we talked! I guess I need to get cracking on it if I want to finish by Christmas!!

Todd and Meagan said...

That just stinks! Thank goodness for friends who can provide diapers and shelter :) I've been meaning to call you...it feels like I haven't talked to you in FOREVER.

Stephens said...

It's a Christmas miracle- I finished Tommy's stocking. There is a picture on my blog. I ended up making sense out of the instructions as I went- you'd be so proud!

whitney said...

Heather Parker!!! It took work to find you! Well not much just about 5 minutes of blog stalking! I havent been able to find your email address so email me at

larsenwhitney@yahoo.com

I was just telling a friend about Felicity... and I'm having withdrawls! Talk to you soon!

Whitney Larsen